Biology is filled with numerous interesting topics like photosynthesis, metabolism, the organ system, etc. which helps us to understand the world around us in a better way. Evolution can be called as one of the most fascinating processes in science that are still happening around us all the time. The concept of evolution can be simply described as the change in characteristics of a species over a huge period of time.
Some amazing facts about evolution are given in the points below so that you can understand this interesting process in an easy and fun way.
- The earliest homo sapiens left the continent of Africa over a million year ago.
- Camels originated in the present-day United States of America. The species later spread to other places like North Africa and Asia.
- Octopus eyes evolved separately from vertebrate eyes and do not have a blind spot. This is an example of convergent evolution.
- Humans beings are the only primates whose tooth size decreases as the kingdom monera size increases.
- Human babies develop a tail in the womb which eventually dissolves.
- The population of human beings crashed about 80 thousand years ago.
- Humans beings navigated the Indian Ocean 50 thousand years ago in boats.
- There is a species of sea snail that wears an iron-plated armor suit. It is the only living thing to use iron sulfide as a skeletal material.
- Platinum exposure can turn snails into their evolutionary descendants i.e. slug.
- The throwing technique of modern baseball players evolved from our extinct human ancestors.
- Human beings have only had a culture for less than 50,000 years
- Researchers are not sure if humans have reached the evolution peak or are still evolving.
These were some amazing facts about evolution. Subscribe to BYJU’S YouTube Channel to watch interactive video lessons on various math and science topics to learn more efficiently.