Adults or kids are susceptible to acne on their face or body parts. Acne when pregnant or acne after pregnancy is also common. But when kids suffer from acne it becomes a cause of concern. Then you would have to get into the details a wee bit more.
The reasons for acne appearing in kids
If you are thinking do kids get pimples, the answer is a yes. Acne poses to be a common disorder and all the more during a childhood stage. Level of hormones that spike during puberty is the major cause of acne. Apart from this there is some other cause of acne in kids as follows
- Use of skin or hair care products that have high chemical content
- If you wash your soap with strong soaps or warm water it can lead to acne
- Pimples can be created with humidity present in air
- Use of certain type of medicines can result in emergence of acne
- Tight straps in the form of clothing accessories can block the hair follicles.
- Dandruff and too much sweat on the hairline increases chances of acne on your face
- When hair falls on the face facial oil increases inducing chances of breakouts
Symptoms of acne in children
Symptoms of each and every child might continue to differ. Mostly acne occurs in regions of the face, arms, chest, upper back where high concentration of sebaceous glands occurs. Pimples on kids could be a stepping stone for other disorders in kids. A consultation with a dermatologist is a must if you notice the following symptoms in your child
- Scarring of skin or dark coloured blackheads or bumps
Diagnosis of acne in kids
Consult a dermatologist as they have to examine current symptoms of your kid with a brief outlay of their medical history. A careful examination of these symptoms would give you an idea on whether it is acne or not. If your consultation is with a general doctor they would suggest a dermatologist.
The treatment of acne in kids depends upon the age and specific conditions faced. It will be simple and in a gentle manner. Some of the treatment mechanisms that are suggested are
- Creams or lotions that are non-subscribed products
- Laser therapies or chemical peels.
The prevention of acne in kids
Acne could last for a few days and then stop suddenly. But early detection along with preventive steps would combat the disorder. To avoid acne developing in your kids there are some pointers you need to take care
- Advise you child on not to squeeze on the pimples or picking at the zits. This increases infections and leads to permanent scarring
- Consult your doctor when non infection drugs fail to yield the desired results
- A counselling session is a must in case if your child is physically affected by this condition
- Treatment has to be stopped slowly even if signs of acne persist
- A regular and gentle skin care for your child is a must