Food craving are those sudden food urges that happens when one becomes very keen on eating a certain kind of food. Women when pregnant, suffers from this problem the most.
Some of them can be healthy but mostly there is unhealthy cravings pregnancy that one has to deal with. Most women have cravings for apple pies, chocolate cakes and pickles. Sometimes they also have cravings for certain food items which they usually do not like eating much. The most common cravings include chocolates, ice creams, other dairy products and sweet food items
Now the question is, why do these cravings develop? Well, there is not concrete reason behind it. It might be a case that one craves for some particular food item if there is a lack of that in their daily diet plan or if there is a need for some dosage of minerals and vitamins. But no studies show that these craving happen because there is some kind of nutrition deficiency in the pregnant woman’s body. Some pregnant women also develop a very strong dislike to some food items which have a very string taste.
According to gynaecologists, it is absolutely okay to have some occasional food craving if one continues to carry forward with their healthy diet all along the pregnancy. A few breaks may not be that harmful. But if the craving is towards some major unhealthy food items like chocolates and sweets then one must prevent themselves from over indulgence. This is because; too much of sugar intake can lead to dental problems and body weight gain.
Here are some major tips on how to regulate and control the major unhealthy food cravings.
- Try to eat on a regular basis some healthy meals and this can prevent one to have some sudden feelings of hunger.
- Always keep your kitchen full with some healthy snack items so that whenever you feel hungry, you can munch in them only.
- Never go for grocery shopping when you are hungry.
- One needs to eat food which are healthy and can also keep you full for longer. Like one needs to pick up things like porridge, oats, baked beans, whole grain breads and fresh fruits.
- One also needs to get a good amount of sleep because it is said that those who sleep less crave for more food.
When one is pregnant, there are certain food items that they should avoid. The major things not to be consumed are raw eggs, soft cheese, undercooked meat and salmonella because they can cause harmful bacteria. This can lead to some harmful diseases like toxoplasmosis and listeria. There is also a certain level of alcohol that one can have during pregnancy. But it is even better if one does not drink alcohol at all. This is because it can harm the foetus inside.
If one has some really unhealthy pregnancy cravings then they should definitely consult their gynaecologist and they will definitely find a way out on how to stop these cravings.